View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New 60km/h speed limits in NSW forest roads!! was 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
flawed thinking.

Jack Reasonable asserts that 110 is safe for his car, skill level and conditions.
Jill Scaredypants asserts that 45 is safe for her '92 Festiva, her skill level and the conditions.

Jack Reasonable meets Jill Scaredypants around a long, wide corner with trees blocking full view, at a *slowed down* 50KM/h speed differential.

Jack and Jill roll down the hill

Ideal world and all, fine, but it isn't.
Actually that is incorrect. In that in this scenario Jack cannot see far enough ahead to brake safely should he have to then he has misjudged the safe speed of 110.

On the other hand if there was a sign that said 110 then it MUST be safe at 110 or they would not have put the sign there to tell you how fast to drive.....

Either way there may be a splat although in one situation Jack's estate solicitor can argue that there was a duty of care on DMR to post the safe speed because drivers are not capable of judging safe speeds for conditions.

The idea of judging safe speed in an open zone is not go 300km/h everywhere which seems to be the fear of the anti (//) brigade, it is to travel at a safe speed. I have never overtaken anyone at more than 30 or 40km/h faster (unless they were parked off the road) and always slowed down when there was oncoming traffic as I know what will happen if two cars pass at 500km/h.

In saying this I have no problem with a low limit inside forestry areas as the roads are not maintained and you are likely to meet tractors, trucks and all sorts of big nasty things in dust clouds, trees across roads and off cambre slippery corners next to cliffs.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote