Thread: Ranger V Hilux
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2021, 12:44 PM   #18
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Ranger V Hilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Ranger is still available in low-ride single cab chassis.

https://www.ford.com.au/build-and-pr...rcial_Vehicles

There are a few reason why Ford lose out on these sales.

As mentioned, there is the Toyota reputation factor.

And look at the RRP in the link above. $32,361 for a base Ranger, and that's before a tray is added. Now that figure is obviously open to negotiation, I got my PX II Ranger with a custom steel tray brand new for $28,000. However even at a discounted price, a base Ranger is still more expensive than a Hilux or Triton. Ford refuse to offer a petrol entry model, something Toyota have no problem selling.

Another factor losing sales for Ford is a lack of automatic transition on the base low rider single cab. That would be a deal breaker for many.

So with a cheaper entry price, available auto and better resale, it's no surprise fleets and tradesman choose Hilux at this end of the market.

For me, I was happy to pay the premium for the Ranger. Over the Hilux it rides better, steers better, has more standard equipment, a six speed manual vs a 5 speed, has a painted front bumper and it looks far tougher.
Ford did have a peterol engine in a couple models of rangers but I do believe discontinued them due to poor sales, real shame since some owners talked highly of these models.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote