View Single Post
Old 24-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #101
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crappy build quality of cars from the 00s

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Every car has plastic cooling pieces. Even the falcons have plastic side tanks and expansion tanks and if it's OK for them and there, what is the big deal anywhere else?

I've never had an issue, (30 years old and 320k kms on my M50), but I've changed my t/stat housing and pump impeller for an aftermarket brand metal version pretty cheaply because I got sucked into beleiving "BMW cooling systems LOL" from keyboard warriors online (not directed at you but when I was a noob I listened to people that warned me about plastic cooling systems).
What if you didn’t get sucked in, that pump lived up to its reputation by fracturing the impeller and cooking the engine...
You never know, better to be safe than sorry hey.

BMW were one of the first to implement multiple plastic parts in the cooling system to suit some Euro green requirement for more parts of the car to be recyclable or be of recycled material, I can’t remember the exact reason.

Yeah, have had a few, and had to do a cracked t stat housing on an M60 and top rad hose where the rubber is crimped to a plastic neck on an E39. No major but I know I’d never be doing that on a Falcon within 200k.
Currently have an M30 E34 in the garage awaiting a cooling system overhaul, although these engines are proper old school with parts designed to last longer than the warranty period.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote