View Single Post
Old 30-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #40
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Barn find! 1971 Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III to fetch in excess of $300,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Firstly, on what basis can anyone assert that its a HO? Is this some universal law of the cosmos? If Ford built 300 P3's, does that mean that there will always be 300? And even if so, how is ownership of such a right determined?

The car in question has been bastardised in every way imaginable. It doesn't have the original engine, gearbox, most of the peripheral mechanicals, and the guards have been butchered
If we disposed of the doors, bonnet, boot, and fenders, would it still be a HO?

Ok, what about if we also completely stripped the interior, down to a bare shell. Still a HO?

Ok, so what if it had been rolled, and we had to cut the roof off?

Now its been sitting in a paddock for 20 years, the boot, quarters, floor-pan, and firewall are all rusted away. Is it still a HO?

Please tell me, precisely which piece is it that makes it a HO?
I'm not sure if you're being silly or not

Quote:
Firstly, on what basis can anyone assert that its a HO? Is this some universal law of the cosmos? If Ford built 300 P3's, does that mean that there will always be 300? And even if so, how is ownership of such a right determined?
It's a P3. The tags and VIN say so. It's also a one-owner car, so no dispute on shady periods of its life. How many were built... I don't see the relevance of that.

Quote:
The car in question has been bastardised in every way imaginable. It doesn't have the original engine, gearbox, most of the peripheral mechanicals, and the guards have been butchered
If we disposed of the doors, bonnet, boot, and fenders, would it still be a HO?
Yes, of course. It's the shell that determines the car's identity.

Quote:
Ok, what about if we also completely stripped the interior, down to a bare shell. Still a HO?
See above.

Quote:
Ok, so what if it had been rolled, and we had to cut the roof off?
Then it's a P3 that has had its roof replaced (or turned into a cool convertible). Anyway, see above.

Quote:
Now its been sitting in a paddock for 20 years, the boot, quarters, floor-pan, and firewall are all rusted away. Is it still a HO?
A very rusty one, but see above.

Quote:
Please tell me, precisely which piece is it that makes it a HO?
The shell always determines a car's identity. That can't be changed.

If I gutted my XB GT to a shell and sat it on bricks in a paddock it would still be an XB GT wouldn't it? No difference to the P3 here.

If you're confused about rebodies, rebirthing, replicas, etc. there's a good post here that will assist.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11310086
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote
6 users like this post: