View Single Post
Old 16-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Ok, I'll give you my advice, as we own both a 1.8L Manual and 2.0L auto in the 5 door hatch in CL and LX trim, so I should be in a good position to tell you what I feel each of the vehicles strengths are.

Above: On the left, the Capri Blue LX Focus with SR rims and Ford Bodykit, on the right, the Blue Flame CL Focus with the MP3 rims and Infocus Motorsport / Ford Hybrid Bodykit, in company with my brothers Champagne 01 KQ Laser.

Starting with the 1.8L manual, I definitely feel this is the transmission / engine package of choice here. The 1.8L engine has the same power output as the 2L, which is packaged with the auto for the extra torque it produces to compensate for auto tranny losses. The manual is slick, smooth, and precise, whereas the auto is an all or nothing gearbox. Either it's really holding its revs out, or it changes so low it leaves you wanting that little bit extra for comfortable driving. However, when taking the girlfriend out on a date, it is a bit smoother, but leaves you looking stupid when all of a sudden it decides to downchange while accelerating and leaves you looking like you're trying to be a hoon. The other feature I do not like about the LX is the tacky silver painted centre console, I prefer the black one fitted to the CL. Personal preference.

However, it's not all bad in the Capri Blue Focus. Being an LX, the car comes equipped with ABS standard, which goes hand in hand with disc brakes on the rear and the extra passenger airbag. It also comes with power windows, a feature that alot of people like. The Capri Blue was also ordered with cruise control and the leather wrapped steering wheel, which can be retro fitted to current Foci. After spending some time with the car with this feature, I will be getting it retro fitted to the Blue Flame Focus also.

Both vehicles are fitted with aircon, I am not even sure if you can order one without these days. Now you can get the SR pack Focus, which is a CL with the rims you see on the Capri Blue Focus, and they don't charge you for aircon. Cruise, and the ABS safety pack, are still extras, but the SR represents great value, being around 22 grand on the road, I think it was, last time I saw. A non optioned model Zetec 5 door will set you back well close to 30 grand, and you still end up with 16 inch alloys and no bodykit.

So to conclude, my ideal package would be a 1.8L manual LX, with cruise fitted as an extra. An SR loses the safety pack (still has a driver airbag no matter what though) and power windows, but will save you a couple grand over an LX. Bodykits and alloys are personal choices, you can see the difference in our vehicles, as is colour.

So for your price range, you'd be weighing up what you can get for your money. I'd be pushing for a 1.8L manual LX if you can find a dealer willing to do a great deal on one, if not, it's hard to go past the SR for value for money. And if you have become so used to cruise to take it for granted like I did, don't forget to option it on! My mistake when purchasing, but can be done afterwards.

Hope that gives you a starting point, at any rate. Any questions, fire away.

Tim!