View Single Post
Old 20-08-2020, 03:42 PM   #45
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: [How To] TDCI Timing Belt Replacement - 2.0L QXBA DW10 140PS

Mondaveo said:

'I'm most anxious/confused about the crankshaft bolt. So we'll need a breaker bar/impact tool to undo the bolt, but then we're also using that bolt with a spanner on to turn the engine over. How is it that undoing/doing up the bolt doesn't just turn the engine, and vice versa? I imagined this is where we like the flywheel locking tool (the timing pin would not be strong enough to hold the engine in place against bolt removal/refitting), but in Howatt's videos he doesn't use the locking apparatus. Is it due to using an impact tool (rattle gun or power bar) and will I need precautions using a breaker bar? '

The flywheel locking tool is essential. It takes the torque reaction from undoing the crankshaft bolt, which is enthusiastically loctited. Although Alan Howatt is a very experienced Mondeo mechanic, he is not necessarily experienced in the best way of doimg things. Having said that I've done two of these, so I'm no expert either.
What I did have was plenty of time. Whether or not you DIY is for you to decide, but if in doubt, allow yourself time and expect to spend money on a decent torque wrench!

Last edited by rondeo; 20-08-2020 at 03:50 PM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: