View Single Post
Old 19-06-2007, 03:19 AM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Sikaflex will do the job mate, pretty much what they all use nowdays.
Before you glue it tho, leave it on the bonnet out in the sun to heat up and *Properly* conform to the bonnet contours.. Youll be happy you did!!!
if it's fibreglass the sun won't make it bend to shape sorry for the chemistry lesson but i thought it best to explain why you cant reform the shape of fiberglass. There are 2 main types of plastic thhermoplastic and thermosetting plastic. Thermoplastic can be moulded with heat and even melted over and over again where thermosetting plastic is shaped and then cured in some cases with heat but in the case of the epoxy used in fibreglass by a chemical reaction. once cured heat will not change the shape significantly you can cut it or break it but you can't reform it. it is for this reason that OEM bumpers are not made of fiberglass they are made of a thermoplastic which can be welded and reformed after a collision this makes them vastly superior to the fiberglass bars you can get. one decent knock and they're stuffed i recently dinged my front bar and poped it back into shape
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote