View Single Post
Old 23-07-2020, 09:51 PM   #164
Trendseeker

Default Re: The bakery thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Bourke Street bakery Surry Hills/Barangaroo.. super rich pastries
Fire Station pies Union st Newcastle.... pies pies pies
I was working in the Surry Hills area in the second half of last year and wasn’t aware that bakery was there.

I agree with your recommendation on the pies from the Fire Station pie shop in Cooks Hill / Newcastle. It’s been many years since I last bought one, but they are memorable for a few reasons.

Firstly, they have the highest gravy to meat ratio of any pie I’ve ever eaten. The shop’s heating oven is set at maximum temperature, and the pies are served scalding hot.

If you’re eating the pie out of the paper bag rather than taking it home or whatever, it’s a big mistake to take a large bite first up. If you do you’ll have a sore tongue for the rest of the meal. After taking a small nibble to open it up and vent the heat, you have to hold the pie at least at a 45 degree angle or the contents will pour out. If you’re careful you can get through the rest of the pie over the next 15 minutes without a burned tongue. They’re too hot to eat any faster.

On one occasion I had taken the first nibble and was letting it cool when two small leaks appeared in the pastry around the top, and the piping hot gravy started oozing out like lava from a volcano. After attempting to slurp it up and stop the leaks, turning the pie in my hands caused a small breach in the base, and from there the situation went downhill fast.

Soon the meat and gravy began to flow from the base and the pastry started collapsing like concrete under an uncooled nuclear core. The whole molten mess then hit the paper bag underneath and it was about to go the full China syndrome meltdown and pour off the paper and into my lap. I had to move quickly to the bin and let it go much to the amusement of the other guys I was having lunch with.

Despite that one mishap I recommend their pies. Take a plastic plate and fork just in case.