View Single Post
Old 29-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #23
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Upgrade to 8 speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They do 'connect and cruise' packages which come with the factory GM control packages - this one suits their 8L90E box (8 speed)

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/p...SLT18L90E.html
Sure but I havent seen a stand alone transmission controller as far as I know...like they have for the 4l80e and 60e, so you can run one behind any engine. Maybe they are out there, I just havent seen one.

What you linked to is for running the 8 speed with an LT1 engine.

Those controllers for engine and trans are pretty much the same ECU as whats in the production cars, which can be tuned with HP tuners... GM turns the stuff not required or wanted off for these controllers ( like VATS for example) ... which is what someone at home can do with LS/LT computers taken from late model cars to install into other cars.. when they have the software (HP tuners or equivalent)

It might be possible to put those GM ECU's and the sensors destined for an LT1 engine onto another engine just to be able to run the transmission behind it.. but things start getting tricky as the LT is direct injection, one would have to turn off a lot of fault codes and checks and get creative, if its even possible.

I know you can turn off codes and whack a carby straight onto an LS1 car and it will run right with the ECU still doing the spark and transmission, but I havent messed with LT1's to see what is possible because we didnt get those here in numbers, other than the odd import thats been converted.

Ive seen GM 411 (LS1) PCMs adapted to windsors, and then they will run a 4l60e and 80e.. whether that can be done with the newer LT1 ECUs, to run a different engine, i havent seen anyone do it yet.

Ive even seen 454 chevys and 440 mopars running the GM 411 PCM and converted to efi. They add the GM cam and crank sensor to the other engines, and the coil packs. Those too can then run a 4l80e (or a 4l60e if you like breaking things )

Last edited by lumen8; 29-07-2021 at 02:57 PM.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote