View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #1314
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Diet is an interesting topic. Do people eat junk because they feel down, or do people feel down because they eat junk. Mental health issues are on the rise in younger people in this country, even pre covid. We need more studies to find the cause, is it the food? environment? what is it?

I never feel like eating in the morning, lunch, dinner and a late supper are my meal times, and has been like that for the last 20 years. I do find that when I go through my gym phase, on and off every 6 months, my brain automatically prefers healthier food.
I found cutting out as much processed sugar as I can from my day to day life is helping me a lot. Not necessarily from a weight point of view, but also, less inflammation and for some reason, I don't feel anywhere near as mentally unstable as I used to be. It's a strange feeling but one I welcome.

Going cold turkey from sugar is not a good idea unless you also know of the side effects of doing that for the first few weeks. I recommend just removing sugar from hot beverages for a start will help. Then reducing alcoholic drinks or ones with a high sugar content is then next step. Again, not going cold turkey, but monitoring your consumption to perhaps a couple of low carb beers on a weekend or limiting myself to 1 or 2 shots of quality whiskey per weekend for me has helped no end. I used to drink nightly to cope, just so you know the changes I have made.

I have also changed my snacks from a large packet of Smiths chips in 1 hit to a bowl of grapes and a big glass of water to fill the stomach.

Just little changes like that I have noticed a positive reaction.

Occasionally I will splurge on something decedent but not anywhere near as much as before when I was eating my feelings.

Anyway, take as much or none of that as you will. But I think small incremental changes in diet do play a part in your mental stability.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont