Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #6316
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET
Query, when the chart shows significant spikes, others smooth, I assume that is adhering reporting frequency ?
Some are smooth, cant imagine people in the next country die at differing rates.

What is after second wave ? a different approach or lock down the 'globe' again ?
Some of those significant spikes are catch-up reporting or the now infamous 'adjustment' where they suddenly discover that they've been counting too many people for their liking (e.g. the UK) or missed a whole pile of cases like Bolivia did last week.

I think, despite the criticism of Victoria, keeping tight control over the citizenry until reaching zero community transmission has to be the goal to avoid a potential third / fourth wave. Some of those graphs look like restrictions were eased too early which either created a spike or a long period of 'stable' case numbers rather than a reduction.

The COVID-normal world, assuming we get to zero community transmission, is going to look very different from a travel point of view as I have said before simply because some of the EU countries we looked at the other day opened borders to travellers and got themselves a pile of new cases. The reality is that if you have no cases in your community (like the NT/ACT/Tas) then 'importing' infected people is the only way you are going to get them. Thus, even if we manage to get to zero new cases as a country then we face the dilemma of how we deal with incoming visitors. Andrews was talking about mandatory (self funded) hotel quarantine the other day but I'm not sure whether he was referring to returning locals or visitors. I can't see too many people travelling to Australia to spend two weeks in Rydges Carlton COVID Carlton.

I see some EU countries now require a health certificate before entry is allowed and while that is some help, I can see all sorts of ways that system will get abused.

It's probably the biggest issue facing the travel and tourism industries and I think they need to get their collective heads together and come up with a system that has acceptance by most of the developed world.

I'm not saying it has any immediate relevance to this situation but I'm thinking of the agreement struck in the 70's where planes arriving in Australia (and many other countries) undergo disinsection (not a typo). In some places this is still in-cabin but more often now it is external.

Undoubtedly, once we get a vaccine, you'll be needing proof of it before getting a via to almost anywhere in exactly the same way as we all used to once upon a time (and still do for some places).

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post: