View Single Post
Old 25-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #12
ford12

Default Re: Vinyl Going Sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve read a little across the ‘net on this. Plenty of (no surprise) under-informed commentary.

What I want to know, is - for the softer vinyl used on B series Falcons and corresponding Territory door trim uppers/arm rests - what exactly is going on.
  • Is there natural latex in the vinyl, that’s degrading?
  • Is it a material that’s tipped over into an unstoppable state of chemical imbalance and will continue to break down?
  • Is it caused by exposure to certain types of chemicals and the reaction’s byproduct can effectively be removed/stalled?

The reason I want to know, is in order to possibly glue microfibre “suede” over these materials.

It is the oil (plasticizer) coming out, this is what is used to make the vinyl soft.
It can't be stopped, it will keep leaching untill there is none left, then your vinyl will be dry and cracked.
The only way to stop this happening is to make the vinyl with a different plasticizer to begin with, but this is a lot more expensive.
It can be slowed by keeping heat and sunlight to a minimum.
All you can do now is keep it clean by wiping the plasticizer away when required, I would use metho, but always check on a small spot first.
The foggy looking residue on the inside of the windscreen (when you haven't cleaned it for a while ) is the same or similar oil coming from every thing plastic in your car.
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote