View Single Post
Old 21-09-2020, 06:27 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Sydney Rail Tunnel system

I really don't get NSW planning.
As someone who grew up in Sydney and uses Sydney public transport system often, (when I'm there) I don't get why they wanted to use a whole different rail network that wasn't compatible with the current double decker system.
This stupid driverless single deck system required them to close and rip up all the existing track and infrastructure which was only previously finished several years earlier (Epping to Chatswood)
They build a railway line single decker to a dead end at Castle Hill along a rail corridor which was perfectly running well as a double deck line from Hornsby to Chatswood underground via Epping, Macquarie Park etc and on into the city then out to Richmond.
Logically, ideally building a full double decker line to and through Castle Hill to Richmond would have given them a loop which returned vuia the western Blacktown line. The could have continued the dead end line at Carlingford tunneling through (2mile !!!) to Epping giving them a second major loop.

With these loops Sydney's second airport (which is already there) at Clarendon (Richmond RAAF) could have had plenty of public transport options via train from most suburbs in the city.

The money they would have saved designing these two loops on the current network design ie double decker standard trains, would have afforded them to build a railway line down along the northern beaches which people have been crying out for since I was a kid growing up there.
Along with the now close Newcastle line from Hamilton Glady's railway hacks have become a joke.
Back in the 80s it took 2 45 mins from Central station to Newcastle beach by train now it takes 3 20mins (if your lucky) to get to Hamilton and your not even in Newcastle. You then board buses to Newcastle.

Rant..... over and out

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
10 users like this post: