Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 24-10-2018, 11:33 PM   #54
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Alot of the mowing contractors are buying them ex-council, they turn them over yearly every, two at the most. I picked up a self propelled one, 3 speed for my elderly father in law for about half the price of a new one. He loves it.
Blocked chute comes from the wing tips on the blades being worn out.

RE feeding, what do you want to do, make it grow or just green it up?
General lawn feed to make it grow and give a little colour, apply a little at regular intervals is best.
If you just want to green it up use 1 part manganese, 2 parts iron. We use this to colour fairways without the growth spurt. Just be sparing, black comes after green on the colour spectrum, lol.
When I wanted to boost the greens quickly while I worked as a country golf course greenkeeper I used Sulphate of Ammonia for nitrogen and potash for potassium in equal parts and mixed in sulphate of iron to control moss. Once or twice a year a good dose of dolomite lime to help balance your pH. Later on I tried liquid fertilisers like Seasol but still gave the greens a periodical feed of Ammonia/Potash/Iron. I had to keep weed control and ground grubs in check and the fertiliser program aided the greens coping with the stress of such sprays and close mowing but also of course with consistent asthetic appeal .

Ideal pH for grass is slightly acidic 6 to 6.5 so anybody keen on maintaining a healthy lawn it's not a bad idea to buy a soil analysis kit or a decent quality pH reader from a garden shop or hardware store just to take the guesswork out of it a bit .

A tip for Ammonia based fertilizers too . Best time to do it is when it's raining or when rain is imminent . Otherwise ensure you give it a quick watering via hose or sprinkler because left dry the ammonia will leave burn marks . Even a quick wash in will prevent that . Normally the deep colour change and boost of growth is extremely quick indeed.

Last edited by roddy1960; 24-10-2018 at 11:41 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: