View Single Post
Old 29-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #17
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Batteries for TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Anecdotal evidence shows Ca batteries (Supercharge, Century) get the car started and running for years, Ag(silver)/Ca batteries ditto.

The smart charge system reduces fuel consumption in accordance with basic laws of physics.

A DVM plugged into the cigar lighter while driving shows the charging voltage increasing under deceleration and reducing under acceleration.

The difference between Ca and Ag/Ca technologies under the smart charge system seems to be an open question. I suspect it's pretty small, and might not be worth the money.

BTW Cobrin why not use a backup supply while changing batteries?
Fully agree rondeo.

I did use a battery saver 9V battery (square smoke alarm type to be exact) connected it to the aux power outlet aka 'cig lighter port', it was indicating power (has an LED was bright). Before I used the battery it was measured 9.9xV so full capacity, I've had this adaptor+inc battery since Jan unopened knowing this was the next issue.

It did save the Radio stations and BT paired phones but looks like nothing else was saved. I just checked the 9V battery again and it's 9.92V and in the adaptor 9.72V so certainly enough. If I ever get the chance again I could try alligator clips on the end of the lead instead of the cig adaptor and directly attach it to the Battery leads but I doubt I'll be doing that for some time to come.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote