Thread: Covid 19 -
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #6336
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I wanted to find another country that is (a) an island, and (b) has a similar population as Australia to see how they have faired with COVID to compare.

Sri Lanka is what I came across, which has a similar population (21.5M), all living in an island the size of Tasmania!! I thought they'd be in serious trouble given they have such a large population living in such a small area. Nope. I was very wrong.

SL have so far had just over 3'000 cases and only 12 deaths! Yes, 12 deaths. I read that they went the way of somewhat of an elimination strategy very early into the pandemic, and the entire country was under full lockdown + curfew from 20th March. The lockdown lasted 52 days only. They built 45 all new quarantine centres, which to date has quarantined almost 3'500 returning locals and visiting tourists. It was very strict quarantine conditions and they did not muck around with security, having the army (fully armed) on guard duties.

Just makes you wonder if a 3rd world country like Sri Lanka with a similar size population to us, all living on an island the size of Tasmania can beat this virus, how the hell did our 1st world country get it so wrong??

I'd like to to full comparison report between the two countries strategies and how they managed beat this thing compared to us. But I cannot find enough details. Maybe Russell has more info/detail on this?
The Sri Lankan people probably care for their aged citizen better than us.

3 users like this post: