View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #320
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

If you regularly service your car with a Ford dealer, they are more likely to try and help - and I would give it a good chance of success. You can tell if your USB port is working too, by plugging in a memory stick with an LED light (or card reader with an LED light). If it flashes the light for a short time and it stays lit solid soon after (with blank media, but flashing will continue a while if there's lots of mp3s on the stick) then you should be good. If the light goes out, or doesn't stop flashing, bad USB.

I posted a link a while back for a USB to serial device for your PC (it needs to be resoldered for 3.3v use as most come configured for 5.0v which will wreck the FDIM's serial port). However, without a copy of the firmware files, or access to another ICC from around the same time as yours (to get them) then you are kind of out of luck. I want to post the set of 3 firmware version's files I have on the Internet - but I'm not doing it until Ford or Sumitomo provide written permission.

My latest update for my gauges is, I've created a new device driver to simulate serial port 5 for the sat-nav GPS chip (turns out the early 2013 one starts the serial port at 57600 baud and the mid 2014 one 115200 baud - so it looks like the GPS chip got a firmware update at some stage). I've been loading the original serial driver for "ser5" as "ser4" and I can pass along the non-gauge data (GPS stuff) to the other port... Rabbit in dark-place, meet the light.

I'm still thinking about how to "save power" though.. I'll be using another microcontroller for the CAN-BUS stuff and I want it to all turn off after the car's been off for 15 minutes (using the car's battery saver circuit). When this happens, the GPS data will no longer be sent to the FDIM (not sure this is a problem, but I want to avoid a gps software crash). My latest thought is to use a micro-relay to reconnect the GPS chip directly to the FDIM CPU and bypass my new microcontroller. I may be overthinking it though, when the battery saver comes on in 15 minutes, the whole ICC should be fast asleep.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: