View Single Post
Old 19-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Subaru forester running costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Warning: Rant

In 2009 I decided my NF fairlane was beyond economical restoration. First car I looked at was the falcons, but they were rubbish. The cars the dealers showed me looked like they had come from a $ shop and the service was appalling.

So I could get a hilux V6 auto xtra cab for 31500 but they only had a single cab workmate to test drive. It was appalling. I later found out the SRs ride a lot better.*&^%...

So I looked at other stuff and eventually settled on a subaru forester manual X. Hated the car soon after buying it. In retrospect one of the worst decisions I've ever made, and it's got solid competition for that.

So a couple of years ago after a particularly painful service bill (1200!) I built a spreadsheet to try and work out how they could possibly justify the $ (hint: they couldn't, I got ripped off). So just for fun (cos I have a weird sense of fun) I added the data for m EL falcon. Incredibly the EL was cheaper to own and run than the subaru, despite $200/yr extra rego ad 20%more fuel. I did not include depreciation or finance.

So 6 months ago the 125k service which includes cambelt is $1800! Then the air con starts playing up. The other day car stops dead no clutch, slave cylinder, $350. Now they want $2100 for a clutch.

Utter garbage. Awful ergonomics, no bottom end, pitches, ordinary seats. Just a horid car. The only area it is superior to the falcon is wet weather adhesion.

130k and it's borderline beyond economical repair. Money pit.

My 2 falcons do break down. About $500/yr for repairs, but the service costs are so cheap that it totally wipes out fuel and reg savings on the forester.

I'll never buy a subaru again, and I'll probably never buy a new car again. I think next time I'll get an XB or something (LTD?) and restore it.

Stick to your falcons. Great cars.
If you're planning to restore an XB then have a crack at doing the timing belt yourself. The full belt kit with tensioner etc plus water pump retails between $650 and $1000 at repco. Or can be done cheaper if you want to just do the essentials.

And if you plan on owing an XB and intend to have a mechanical workshop do your repairs you are in for a world of hurt!