View Single Post
Old 18-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Subaru forester running costs

Lol, funny story, about 6yrs ago we bought the Wife a 2010 Camry Sportivo, old mate across the road comes over for a look that afternoon and mentions how his Mrs wants a newer car, so I mentioned how the dealer we bought ours from had another in dark grey, nah he says, I want a Forester XT.
So a few weeks later he and his brother fly to Qld to pick up an 08 Forester XT with 80k's on the clock, one owner, full dealer history for the tidy sum of $24k plus travel expenses.
They drive it home and he cant stop gloating about how fast it goes and would I like to line him up in the Camry.
Now me being a car guy, and handy with Google, takes a look online in his absence and discovers that those engines have a nasty habit of going bang.
So one evening I mention this to him, nah he says, that's not true, these things are bullet proof, its a Subaru.

So about a week later I arrive home from work and im half way through my first tin of Jim Beams finest when a flatbed tow truck comes crawling up the street with a very familiar grey Subaru Forester on the back.
I watch on as they unload it and I make my way over.
"What happened guys" I asked, "engine went bang" says old mate, "bugger I says, that's out of the blue and unexpected yeah"
"Don't suppose you want to line me up now then hey"
At this point the Towie says something which I still remind old mate about 'til this very day, he points over at the Wife's Sportivo and say...Shoulda bought one of those, bloody bullet proof...

Cost him $7k to rebuild it, which he cleverly loaded onto his mortgage along with the original purchase price, some $32k in total for a 6yr old Forrester.
We never spent a dollar on the Camry apart from do it yourself services and a new battery, owed us $14k.
They're still driving it and it now sounds like a chaff cutter.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: