View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Are Hybrids the new BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Hybrids are bought by econobox toyota buyers that care about nothing except for reliable cheap transport.

Don't be that guy that tells people the car they want is wrong for *reasons* in real life. I say stuff here but in real life I say nothing. We all know small SUVs (small hatchbacks with a huge price upgrade only for a liftkit), people that buy cars based on the LCD and appleplay/streaming services and dual cab thai trucks are the "new BMW".

In other words, no one cares about a car anymore, fun police came out and the result is a lounge on wheels that is cheap to run (hybrid) or something that makes them look interesting, outdoorsy and tough, ie aspirational in the lifestyle way (own a thai truck because at any second I could go bush and camping - but never do) is the only criteria now.
As much as I agree with most of what you said, the same can be said about the try hards who bought all their XR6T, GT, SS, GTS, and any other performance car that never went near a track or the equivalent. All these high horsepower cars (ICE and EV) are pointless when they're rarely (if ever) used in the way they were intended for.

We were one of those people who bought a soft roading SUV not because we would use it for soft roading but because it made loading and unloading of the kids and their paraphernalia a lot easier for the missus and i.

I wouldn't say no to a decent PHEV hybrid, unfortunately said decent ones are aspirational at best. I could deal with a Panamera 4S hybrid each day