Old 15-01-2023, 11:27 PM   #10
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: AU Fairmont cooling fan issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
Hi,
The car’s cooling system is definitely not ok. It usually runs at normal temperature (lower end of the normal arc on the gauge) but on a long steep grade the temperature rapidly increases. It quickly returns to normal on level ground.
I don’t believe the high speed fan is coming on when the motor gets hot.
The engine appears healthy with no coolant loss etc.
I have tested the fans and they both run when jumping across the relays.
The low speed fan works when the air conditioner is selected on.
The fuses are ok
Tomorrow I will swap all the associated relays with known good ones. I will post the results.
If that does not fix the problem I will rewire both fans to run continuously when the ignition is on.
Although the car seems mechanically in excellent condition it has recently experienced a string of minor but exasperating problems including;
the failure of the driven gear of the speedo transducer causing gear box problems. It was a green driven gear that was hard to locate.
Not long after the driving gear inside the gearbox extension failed, now fixed.
Failure of the oil pressure sender, now replaced.
Failure of the crankshaft harmonic balancer that also destroyed the crankshaft position sensor.
Failure of the air temperature blend motor. It was very difficult to find a replacement and very difficult to replace (I paid to have a Ford workshop change that one)
Usual disc and pad replacements
In spite of all this I really like the vehicle and believe if I get it sorted it will provide many km of comfortable economic country motoring.
Thank you to all for your assistance
Alan

underlined =
so low works with aircon on but no high? & no low or high when normally driven?.
how did you test the fuses?. don't go by visuals.
the green cog 'should' be fitted to all with the 3.23:1 ratio diff.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote