View Single Post
Old 29-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #85
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: The Camping Thread

It truely is an awesome place, sort of right on the Goyder line so the northern part of the park is arid whilst the Mambray Creek end is lush and cool.

The facilities are second only to Wilpena when talking N.P.
We always keep well away from the amenities block, over by the creek so its really tranquil, but you can camp 5mtrs from the shower door if you prefer.
Talking about showers, 2 hot showers for each sex, open air so you can discuss your plans for the day with the local birdlife as you take your morning shower.
There's plenty of drinking water around the camp ground and free bbq's up by the trail heads means you never find yourself without the essentials.

The sites vary in terrain, some are flat gravel and others are rocky and uneven, theres plenty to chose from so you wont have too many issues.
Many have fire drums with swing away grill and plate right next to them, we bring $50 of mallee and redgum from my local garden centre with us for 3 nights, the fire never goes out and we use the plate/grill provided for everything from making a cuppa to bacon and eggs. just give em a scrub and away you go again.

Theres heaps to do, from the campground you can head towards the highway and check out the grave yard, the old ruins and follow the info trail along the creek line or you can head up through the gorge and on to a number of different locations all within 2-3hr walk, the scenery is breathtaking, i recommend the Battery ridge as it gives you 180* views of the whole gulf, then back through Hidden Gorge, though it is a good days walk so consider your fitness before venturing too far.
Having said that, none of it is beyond the average person, take plenty of water and a jacket, conditions change continually.

You can also make a day trip of it and head around to the northern part of the park via Wilmington through Horrocks Pass, there you can make your way to the Alligator Gorge carpark and explore Alligator Gorge below, its worth a look.

Sorry, i could go on for hours about the place.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: