View Single Post
Old 20-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #22
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Ok the problem which sparked the recall is this,

These bolts that attach the steering rack to the crossmemeber are studs. These studs are inserting into threaded holes in the cross member, loctite or similar was applied to the stud to prevent them from coming out. On the cross member is written the max torque that is to be applied when tightening the steering rack nuts. During servicing vehicles have bolts & nuts retightened, and these may have been tightened beyond the specified which destroys the loctite, so with vibration the studs can wind there way out. So i've been told by ford that what they are doing is checking to see if the projection of the stud from the crossmember is within specs. If it is, that are tack welding it in to prevent the possibility of it coming out, if it's not they will replace the stud then tack weld. This problem didn't affect the series 3 AU's because the method for fixing the studs had changed.

Sorry it was a bit long, but it think that it explains it.

My opinion, i can't stand ford service depts, they have stuffed me around so much, though i wouldn't muck around, there letter warns that this fault can lead to steering failure, they're not joking. But if you don't want ford doing it, well then have someone else come up with a solution are give it a go yourself.

Cheers,
Adrian

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC

Last edited by Au2falcons; 20-03-2005 at 08:06 PM.
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote