View Single Post
Old 25-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #33
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

To suggest that it isn't a form of Motor Sport is to be elitist. Every form of competitve event that involves a car and a driver where there is a degree of skill involved and set criteria qualifies. From the simplest club Motorkhana through to F1 they are all iterations of the same basic concept - to pit your machinery and skills against another.

Likewise, it isn't the machinery used that defines whether it is a sport otherwise one could argue that HQ racing or other forms of relatively inexpensive motor sport don't qualify either when compared to V8SC or F1. They do. By the logic applied above a day spent punting an auto GT-P around a track in a competitive event isn't motor sport either - bugger me, I'll have to take up macrame or basket weaving next time to get the competitive juices flowing because I have obviously wasted the last 30 years and don't deserve the trophies in the cupboard.

Much as I don't like Drift (mostly because of the subjective scoring system), it does meet the basic criteria outlined above and thus qualifies as a form of Motor Sport.

More than a third of Olympic events are based on subjective criteria and I don't see anyone suggesting they aren't competitive sports.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae