View Single Post
Old 29-12-2023, 07:35 PM   #168
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

The FPV GS.

Important to note there were two versions of the FG FPV GS, the Boss 302 5.4 version, and the Miami 5.0 Boss 315 that came in 2010. For this post, I'm focusing on the earlier Boss 302 model.

The GS was initially introduced as a special edition to the FPV line up in September 2009, offering a lower price of entry compared to the GT sedan and Pursuit Ute. 250 sedans and 75 Utes were made and offered in

Instead of the FPV-spec bumpers, the GS used XR front and rear bumpers and XR headlights. And it wouldn't have been a special edition FPV without a stripe package, the GS featuring Boss 302 lettering and a retro-style GS logo. For the sedan, colour combo's included Winter White & Black, Dash & Black, Nitro & Black, Silhouette & Silver, Ego & Silver, Lightning Strike & Black. Ute was only available in Silhouette & Silver, Nitro & Black, Winter White & Black.

The sedan got dark argent (no, not "agent") 19-inch wheels, the Ute carrying the same wheel in alpine silver. Contrary to the press images, the GS sedan also used the dual exhaust with GT (and not XR) chrome tips. To accommodate the additional outlet, FPV actually had a jig that cut the standard XR bumper, and a plastic trim attached on both sides to finish it off.

On the inside, the GS got dual zone climate control, FPV gear knob, FPV dial cluster, starter button and build number badge, Premium Sound with iPod and Bluetooth integration. GS used the standard graphite black XR cloth without the XR (or even a GS) logo.

The Boss 302 engine was an interesting one. It would be easy to assume that this was the same engine used in the BF MK II Cobra and late run GT's. But this was actually based on the same upgraded 5.4 V8 used in the GT, including the upgraded crank and dual throttle body induction. The difference? 500 rpm to be precise. Instead of revving to 6500 rpm, the Boss 302 only revved to 6000 rpm. Interestingly, max power of 302 kW was achieved at 6000 rpm, the GT making 315 kW at 6500 rpm. And because everything was identical, the GS made the same 551 Nm of torque at 4750 rpm.

The biggest letdown for me regarding the GS was the brakes. Fitted with the same hardware as the XR8, a 322mm front rotor and twin piston sliding calipers, they not only lacked stopping power for car of this power, but they looked terrible hiding inside those 19-inch wheels. I get why they did it, but I also get why many owners had Brembo's added aftermarket.

I have no idea where this image came from, as it stands, this is a VERY bad CGI of a GS sedan. The exhaust tips are not the GT style, instead pictured as XR items. The image also depicts Brembo brakes, which were not available. And the GS badge is on the wrong side of the boot lid.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: