View Single Post
Old 22-12-2023, 06:26 PM   #53
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian Family Cars: We have gone so far backwards since 2016...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToryMikey View Post
Yikes I forget how dreary base Toyota interiors can be. $40k for that penalty box, and only 200 Nm of torque to lug it around! The base Falcon had velour at least, since 2002!
Yep we looked at a few of those in the dealers, I got the impression of a dark, close together, deep and squeezy cabin with vision difficulties out the back. Cloth fabrics were very normal (probably will wear well) - the car out front was demo, not new, and had already sold. Nothing new in stock. The only interior that impressed that day was the Outback Touring at 57+K, an example with tan leather seats, very comfortable, nice view out the dash, spacious, particularly the 2nd row. Wagon length for surfboards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
Funny you say that, because that could also apply to a bright red V8 Mustang.

At least a Mustang does what is says on the tin, as in being a performance car with drop-dead styling. A dual cab pickup is virtually useless as a "commercial vehicle" unless it's towing a trailer to house all the stuff that won't fit in the tray.
Quite a few tradies down here are going the vans, as all the gear can be stowed and is less floggable. Young one is using a 4x4 wagon, for same reason. Stuff buying a tray or styleside then needing an extra trailer to bring all the tools.

I maintain that an Aussie panel van and shared coupe utility with the power/strengths of old could find a niche in the market. If Mr Ineos Grenadier billionaire can do it for the Defender niche, someone can do it in this case.