View Single Post
Old 26-11-2023, 10:21 PM   #20
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Cheap Thrills - The Car Configurator Thread

Ever since it was unveiled, I have had a mad obsession with the Jaguar F-Type R. I love everything about it, the drop-dead gorgeous styling, the crazy noises they make, the chassis engineering, the purposeful cabin. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I would be buying an F-Type R right then and there, no questions asked.

At the time, Jaguar were selling the larger 2+2 XK Coupe and Convertible alongside the 2-seater only F-Type. I remember wondering what Jaguar were thinking giving such a petite little sports car a thumping great supercharged V8, that it was out of place and overkill. Having driven all three engines in the F-Type range, the V8 is as much at home in the nose of the F-Type as the lesser V6 and I4 engines.

Styling wise, this would easily be Ian Callum’s best work, sort of like he had been sitting on that design for decades, just waiting for the right time to bring the concept to reality. In some ways, you can see what Jaguar were doing with the first and second generation XK’s, the organic shaped headlights and oval grill tracing back to the glorious E-Type. But with the F-Type, Callum’s talent is on full display in all its glory, the most convincing E-Type successor, and yet while being thoroughly modern. Think of it like the S550 Mustang, clearly inspired by the original, but with modern elements to keep it fresh.

Sadly, while the facelifted F-Type looks different, it doesn’t necessarily look better. There is something strange about the flattened frontal treatment and thin headlights that seems to alter the perfection of the original. Having said that, it still looks far better than some of BMW’s “beaver teeth” efforts, or the overwrought styling car companies think is vital to catch people's attention.

Sadly, the F-Type is not long for this world, likewise the fabulous supercharged V8.

So, this would be my spec -

https://www.jaguar.com.au/jaguar-ran...ype/index.html

- F-Type R75 P575 AWD Coupe
- Firenze Red (the other colours are very subdued compared to earlier years)
- Privacy Glass
- Deployable Spoiler (this car does not need a spoiler to enhance the looks.)
- 20-inch Style 1041 10-spoke wheels with diamond turned finish (I love how that style of finish shimmers at speed)
- Body colour roof (I'm not a fan of sunroof's.)
- Black Design Pack (gloss black grill surrounds, window trims, badges ect)
- Mars Red Windsor Interior (although the Tan looks sensational as well)
- Carbon Ceramic Brake Pack

Where the pre-facelift looked good from any angle, I think the latest model looks best from side on or from any rear angle.

Not everyone gets to drive their dream car, I'm fortunate to have done so a few times now. The I4 and V6 were fun and decently fast, but the V8 was heroic.

Not only that, I've had the most thrilling and terrifying experience in an F-Type R AWD, getting a flamethrower lap of Sandown with Tony D'Alberto at the wheel. If you think you are a good driver or are used to fast cars, its not until a professional shows you how its done do realise the level a race driver operates at. I've never felt giddy or nauseous in a car before or since that lap.

This is me at the wheel on that wet day at Sandown, being somewhat cautions of the conditions. Also keep in mind this was the very first time I had driven on a race track. The next time I went to Sandown, it was dry and I was much more confident.

The only problem driving my dream car is that I "Can't Get You Out Of My Head". And while all Jaguar's seem to drop like a stone in terms of resale value, the F-Type bucks that trend. As such, even buying used is still too far out of my reach. Unless, I sell my Falcon's and Mustang that is.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: