View Single Post
Old 28-07-2023, 06:15 PM   #201
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Best Aussie car of last 30 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Do Australians even know what they have lost? Losing domestic car manufacturing is a mistake. Not just from a history or nostalgia point of view.
Today I priced up and engine repair on a large Korean SUV that has overheated and destroyed the engine.
To build an engine with genuine parts (they don’t sell long motors) is around $35,000 for parts alone. Or you can buy a reconditioned engine for $15,000. What do you do? You throw a $20,000 car in the bin, that’s what you do.
This is becoming normal. Once a car is out of warranty it’s on borrowed time. Any major failure or accident and it’s simply not viable to repair it.
Why would you spend $20,000 repairing a $20,0000 car that will only come with a 12 month or 20,000km warranty?

But I guess this fits with our disposable world we live in.

I’ll be driving my SZII Barra powered Territory for some years yet. It’ll probably get written off by some muppet in a Tesla.
Agree a lot. Compare Toyota diesel injector price for Barra injector price.

Edit: it's a discussion we've had over in the electric vehicle thread - my conclusion there is that electric is going to be so much cheaper to own privately long term, even including the replacement of batteries. So maybe not economically scrapped until about $7-10K rather than 20-30K, and perhaps battery replacements will get cheaper with scale, too. Disclaimer, currently there's still some really expensive batteries - like a 30K replacement, but others are apparently much cheaper.

Last edited by Sprintey; 28-07-2023 at 06:20 PM.
Sprintey is online now   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: