View Single Post
Old 23-07-2023, 08:40 AM   #790
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
They arrived yesterday, and yes, heavy supply constraints this year. Only a small selection of varieties arrived, which is abnormal for use because roses are one of our specialties.

Two reasons -

1/ Covid staff shortages a few years ago are now showing in a lack of stock laid down during that time. (We only buy two-year graft roses, you pay more, but get a proven graft.)

2/ A major rose supplier has been battling legal issues, as such, cashflow to the business has been compromised.

Speaking of roses, I'm nearly finished the annual winter prune. Despite regular spraying, the past year has been a challenge in terms of pest and disease problems on the roses. While I detest using it due to horrific smell, I will need to do a winter spray of Lime Sulphur this year to clean all that up for the coming spring.
Speaking of pruning, this time of year I always feel sorry for all the poor buggers out in the frozen vineyards from dawn pruning back for the next Summer harvest.
Seems like such a thankless job and one that doesn't seem to attract a decent wage.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: