Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 22-07-2023, 09:31 AM   #3617
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Agreed, but they dont think of the mechanics that work on em. Ive said many a curse word replacing internally routed cables/hoses
So this bike was an insurance replacement. My local bike shop just happened to be the agent through whom they went.

When I picked the bike up he commented on similar lines. He gets a fee to assemble the bike but he said it's nowhere near enough for what is involved with these modern bikes. The internal hydraulic hoses took about 2 hours he said. Cockpit is all one piece to make it even harder.

At least with di2 there no cables at all.

This is my first experience with di2 (ultegra) and to be honest it's not overly quicker than my mechanical dura ace. It's just super reliable. No miss shifts. No need for trim functions as it's automatic. Kept nearly changing gears with the front derailleur every time I went up or down the gears on the cassette because I'm used to having to move the front with the mechanical system.

So yeah, they look good but the mechanics hate them. Hopefully it won't need working on much. I'll have to get myself up to speed on di2 and disc brake maintenance.