View Single Post
Old 29-05-2023, 11:42 PM   #77
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Big chain supermarkets

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
These are very generalised statements. Been to many bunnings and never had an issue with customer service.

Are you suggesting mitre 10 don't sell cheap stuff, or that bunnings don't sell stuff not made in China?
When Masters was around Bunnings stores were so over staffed it was almost annoying. Couldn’t walk down an aisle without one or two staff members asking if you needed help. Now Masters is gone I can walk through the entire store and not see a single staff member other than the ones on the tills and front entry. A lot of the things they sell is just cheaply made, but expensively priced crap. Take their new pet range. Quality wise it’s equivilant to the local $2 shop but priced the same as Petbarn.

As for the supermarkets, we do 3 big shops a year. When we do them, we workout the meals we!re going to make and buy enough stuff to make them as many times as we need to to get us to the next shop. So we compare Coles, Woolies, Aldi, IGA, Costco and some smaller independants we know. As much as I don’t like the big two, they are significantly cheaper, and Costco is brilliant for meat. Like chicken for example. I can buy free range thighs for $15 a kilo at Woolies, or regular thighs for $22 at the butcher. Beef porterhouse for $30 a kilo from Costco, $40kg at Coles or $63 a kilo from my butcher. When I’m buying 8kg or porterhouse at a time, we’re talking big dollar differences. When we do the list of everything we need, even if we exclude meat the difference between the big two and Costco and independents is hundreds of dollars, thousands if meat is included. We’re not poor, far from it. But we also don’t have enough to throw away to ‘support’ certain retailers for the sake of it.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote