View Single Post
Old 16-01-2023, 09:41 AM   #12
Alan L
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU Fairmont cooling fan issue

Hi,
To answer a few very relevant questions posed.
# I tested the fuse with a multi meter.
#Yes, the temperature always ran between the N and the O on the gauge.
#The overheating problem came on very suddenly leading me to believe it is not a radiator core problem
#I’m quite sure the high fan is not coming on even when the gauge is reading quite high.
# The problems all started around the time the Speedo drive failed. Of course this caused all sorts of gearbox problems. I even noted the smell of overheated ATF. I will change the transmission fluid ASAP. Not sure if the failure of the cooling fan caused the high ATF temp or whether it was a result of the gearbox not operating correctly.
When both the driven gear and the internal driving gear failed I was hundreds of km from home, ironically both times with the Snowy Mountains to cross.
# I have not checked the thermostat or the water pump. I guess I should include them on my list as both could give symptoms similar to what I’m experiencing. Again to repeat myself, the temp only increases on long hard grades (I have not been in city traffic) and quickly returns to normal on the flat.
# I will hot wire fans just to confirm they are the problem
Again, I’m so appreciative of the help you are offering me. I will solve this and share my experience
Alan L is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: