View Single Post
Old 23-10-2022, 08:27 PM   #99
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: East Coast floods

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Yikes. Interesting to know what would constitute "flood" water? Does it have to meet a certain depth and coverage across the road?
I'll have to retract a little, I misread things. I knew they put fines in place after the floods earlier this year but confused the rules of enforcement.

Apparently disobeying a road closed sign is $165 and 3 points.

Driving through floodwater or water across the road may get you a $551 fine for driving without due care and attention. I've seen where the cops have applied those fines.

Disobeying a road closed sign due to flooding starts at $827 with a maximum penalty of $27,500. So disobeying the sign is the start. I imagine if you get caught in the water they hand your *** to you as well.

Quote:
However, hundreds of complaints have been lodged with police about people disregarding the road signs and driving into flood waters.

Residents of Waterford West complained about a government official patrolling Tygum Rd and taking down the registration numbers of cars that drove through water to get to the local supermarket.
From the Transport Minister:

Quote:
“If that isn’t enough to deter people, they can be hit with a $551 on-the-spot fine for driving without due care and attention.

“That offence carries a maximum penalty of more than $5500 or six months’ imprisonment or even more if it leads to serious injuries or death.

“Where a road has been closed due to flooding, drivers who disobey road closure signs face an additional $827 fine. The maximum penalty for this offence is more than $27,500.”
Quote:
Police said in extreme cases, they could issue fines for “dangerous operation of a vehicle”, which has a maximum penalty of more than $5500 or six months’ imprisonment and more if it led to serious injuries or death.
I'd have to assume alot of it comes down to police discretion. If they see me drive through 6" of water I might be up for thousands.

And I suppose if a cop sees a car floating at X road at X time on the news and they know there is a sign there, they could sting you for it.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: