View Single Post
Old 06-07-2022, 09:19 PM   #610
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

Next – Going BIG!!

Chapter Eight – A Big Learning Experience

It was Spring of 2013 and with my business busier than ever, I needed something to speed up my mowing time. At this point I will say that a ride-on mower does not suit my mowing run, often access is limited, nor does lugging a trailer everywhere I go appeal……..oh, and I can’t reverse one either! So, I decided to look at wider cutting mowers with self-propel. My focus turned to Toro and John Deere, both selling wide cut models with self-propel.

Price and feature count made the John Deere JS48 a really enticing proposition. The JS48 was the top end model, sharing it’s 22 inch cut and “MowMentum” drive system with the lower models, a system where the top of the handlebar pivoted, the further forward you pushed, the faster the mower would move. Over the front-drive JS38, the 48 had the Briggs 875 190cc engine with a spin-on oil filter, electric start and rear-wheel drive. The catchers were huge and in addition offered both mulching and side throw functions. For the price of $649, the price of a low end Victa, these mowers certainly impressed…………………………………………………on paper.

https://www.metropolitanmachinery.co...d%20models.pdf

My initial use was very pleasing. The wide cut was reducing my mowing time. The drive system was so easy and intuitive to use. The key start was very handy, and the engine was STRONG, so strong it would occasionally backfire through the exhaust after a hot and heavy session. I also liked how easily the fabric catcher emptied. But…………………

When I started to ask more of this mower beyond cutting the tips of a very well-maintained lawn, the fundamental design of the deck started to cause me issues. These mowers, including the Toro competitors, were designed for the American market. The Americans cut their lawns very differently to Australians. Much higher cutting heights and a preference for mulching is a very different to how we cut lawns, or how customers expect their lawn to look after a mow.

Starting with the blade design, these mowers were specified with one-piece blade specifically suited to mulching. Again, due to mulching, the rear catcher chute was very, very small. If the grass was slightly wet or just a bit too tall, the chute would block constantly, requiring the engine to be stopped, the catcher removed, the chute unblocked, the catcher re-attached and the engine re-started. Over and over and over and over again. It was the same story for the side-discharge chute. The height adjustment was also geared toward mulching, the only setting really suitable for my customers lawns was the lowest, and when on that setting, it would drag it’s axle/gearbox across the ground, often digging down and leaving bare spots. So, a machine that was supposed to be saving me time was actually no quicker, perhaps even slower, than using a smaller push mower.

The above is why I am quite vocal on discouraging people from buying these American style mowers, Toro’s and certain Honda’s included. I think it’s quite telling that John Deere no longer sell these machines in Australia. It's reviews are not good either -

https://www.productreview.com.au/lis...-j-series-js48

In many ways, these mowers are quite like Americans in general, all-talk, more-is-more and bigger the better mentality. If nothing else, the JS48 taught me a lesson in “you get what you pay for”. I moved it on in less than 7 months for a mower that I would keep for a very long time.

Top Tip – this mower actually still exists in Australia. It’s called the Stihl RMA 510 and has an electric motor in place of the petrol engine. My boss has one of these and it has all of the issues my John Deere had.

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...Skin-Only.aspx

Next - A Ute.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: