View Single Post
Old 09-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #507
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

With the nights getting genuinely cold now, the vigor has left the lawns for another season. I have to say, it was nice doing my mowing run today and not having to fight the grass.

The fight ended being a broken sprinkler. I don't often break sprinklers, this one would have to be every bit of 20 years old and so was very brittle. I normally grab a set of multi-grips to extract the tube from the ground before inserting a new one. This one was so brittle it was just snapping with the slightest amount of pressure. I ended up having to make another lengthy trip back to the ute and get a shovel to dig it up. This sort of thing is why I hate doing irrigation repairs, one simple and small job just turns into a 10-15-30......min job.

At another job, another favorite Camellia was flowering.

Camellia Sasanqua 'Setsugekka' is a vigorous growing variety ideally suited to screens, topiaries and large filler shrubs, this particular specimen has been trained into a standard. If white is not your thing, 'Plantation Pink' and 'Hiryu' are both similarly vigorous varieties in light pink and cerise/red.

Plantation Pink -

Hiryu -

I love the subtle aroma of Sasanqua Camellia's, its a hard scent to describe but one I can pick whenever they are in my presence.

By the way, Setsugekka is pronounced SET-SUU-GEK-KA, learning Japanese at high school really paid off in terms of being able to pronounce the various Camellia varieties.

Fuji-no-mine, Kogyoku, Mikuniko, Narumigata, Shishigashira, Hanafuki, Kamo-honnami..................
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten

Last edited by DFB FGXR6; 09-05-2022 at 05:39 PM.
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: