View Single Post
Old 01-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Re: AUII XR8 just lost all power while driving ?.

As it happened I was in the cue trying to leave the school car park so I was a little flustered at the time trying to maintain young kids in the back and pushing the car over to let all the other parents out as there is only one exit onto a very busy main road ?? It was a little embarrassing I must admit that the old girl in all her glory had let me down in such a moment as most of the other parents all drive fancy Merc’s and BMWs etc and here I was in this puddly Falcon XR8 that all the kids loved as it was such a sound to hear when it starts up but here it was being pushed out of the way, lol
But from I remember yes I lost all ignition including dash read out etc,
There were no reds nothing, the damn sun was in an awkward spot as well that made it hard to see , anyone that knows the dash cluster of the AU XR series will know that it’s very hard to see the instrument display in such a situation especially with sun glare.
I sat for 5 mins and started it and away we went,
When I got home I checked the battery voltage, as it’s a brand new battery and that read 12.9v .
Like I said the only thing I noticed was that the negative lead could be moved from side to side very very slightly, it was still on the terminal and it couldn’t be moved up or down but with some force it could be moved around from left to right slightly but it needed to be forced and as the battery itself is clamped down secure I can’t see if this was an possible reason
But anyway I tightened it right up
I’ve checked the voltage when the car has sat over night and the battery is sitting at a steady 12.6v, so all good there
I need to check the alternator next,
I had a look at the fuses and so far look to be ok
I don’t have anything heavy at all on the keys it’s only the key fob and that’s all
The car has only done 72 thousand k’s and I’m the original owner so it has me stumped at the moment, all has been good till this mystery.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: