View Single Post
Old 16-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #1037
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

On the topic of inverters, I recently looked in to what I'd need to run a small pod machine. Aldi are doing 100ah batteries for $199, and I thought it might be a good opportunity to increase my battery capacity given I've just bought a 110ah. Best to pair batteries when they are both new.

I asked the place I got my battery from and it can be done, even on a single battery. Given the very short run time of a pod machine, the draw on the battery is high but total capacity used is bugger all. I was recommended to run at least a 1600w inverter as close to the battery as possible using good thick cable. (0awg)
Now inverters that size aren't cheap but quite a few members on caravanners forum have used cheap ebay ones (around $250 for 2000w continuous pure sine wave) for many years without problems.

This is based on the fact that the appliances would be around 1400w or less and used sparingly, once or twice a day.

I have 200w solar panel so battery would be replenished comfortably.

Not sure if I will go ahead with something like that. It was more out of curiosity as to whether it was possible. Of course everyone's situation is different and it depends what other loads you have on your battery.