View Single Post
Old 11-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #85
chinamonty

Default Re: I see Chinese made MGs everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
When you think about it, the MGs we have are either overly expensive or the closest sized models by the Koreans and Japanese are grossly under priced.

I threw in Thailand as we often say that what we get from there is grossly overpriced and the figures seem to back that thinking.

While the old adage of "the Chinese work for a bowl of rice a day" is far from the truth these days their average income and standard of living is still way, way below their Asian competition.

Gross domestic product (at purchasing power parity) per capita. The GDP (PPP) per capita is often considered one of the indicators of a country's standard of living.

China: $17,206
Korea: $44,292
Japan: $41,637
Thailand: $18,073
Australia: $50,845

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...PP)_per_capita

Their standard of living costs are less than half that of Japan and Korea yet their cars are only say 15-20% lower.

We can assume that the Japanese and Korean plants have a greater deal of automation (costing more up front) and that China will take advantage of their much lower cost of labour to save on the robotics and do more things by hand.

If you look at average income per country:

China: Doesn't even make the top 35 list so less than $16k
Korea: $40,856
Japan: $40,573
Thailand: Doesn't even make the top 35 list so less than $16k
Australia: $53,349

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_average_wage

Even at bargain basement prices they are probably making a very tidy profit on each car.

Throw in lax environmental and waste management rules, a workforce that works without complaint 60 hrs a week, and the huge government support and subsidies their manufacturers get its not at all surprising that they can undercut the competition.

They may be 95% as good as the rest, but for a 20% discount people are happy to take the gamble.

In 4-5 years when they start selling their next wave of models they will be 98% as good as their competition due to more investment in automation and and still be 15-20% cheaper than the rest.

If any manufacturer has a hope of competing with China they need to get manufacturing going in India or Philippines.
the problem with comparing what you earn is that it is meaningless unless you compare it to what you need to spend. I lived in China between 2004 and 2009 and in those days I could have had an OK standard of living on CNY8.000 per month which equated then to about AUD1200. My rent was the equivalent of USD 45 per month and a dozen long necks of beer were AUD6. A restaurant meal was about AUD 10.
The current average wage in places like Shanghai is USD1240 per mpnth.
By they way in my time there doing pre-shipment inspections at various facories all over the country the only companies I heard of with 60hour weeks were run by Taiwanese. The factories I visited usually worked 8:30 to 6:00 mon to fri and a half day on Saturday but some did work a full day Saturday.
chinamonty is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: