View Single Post
Old 14-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #741
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Refrigeration is the hardest thing to achieve offgrid, all depends what type of current draw and how often the frig cycles. part of the reason why offgrid homes rarely have solar/battery powered refrigeration (gas frig)
Just an example....Some of those little camping frigs might consume 5 amps per hour, cycle on and off for upto 16 hours a day/night depend on ambient temps.
At 80amp/h from 100amp/h deep cycle LiPo 80% discharge and that just the frig. Something not possible with a lead acid battery bank.

Like others have said, you need to work out exactly what you might use and base your battery bank/ solar array to be capable to recharge the storage capacity then allow extra for cloudy wet days when the panels are deeply shaded.
Most appliances have there power ratings listed.

NB your laptop is probably like Pyrdey said a 19V unless its a goofy 12V, 18V EEpc or there is a 21V one floating around I've seen.
we bush camp 2 weeks at a time, in a caravan though, fridge is a 3 way, they use bugger all LPG when running on gas, it saves your batteries big time

I do have a 40ltr Engel in the back of the Ranger, I plug in a portable 250w solar panel to keep the battery at its peak
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: