View Single Post
Old 12-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #1521
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I've got a question guys.

If Australia was virus free with our external boarders fully locked down and only allowing people in via a strict quarantine regime say a Month with ongoing testing is there any downside by not interacting with the rest of the World?

With that in place all internal restrictions could go & everyone could get back to normal.

We could do without tourism, overseas uni students and international travel although it could still take place via quarantine.

Got me thinking, I wonder if we will see a World divided by clean & dirty countries.
Clean countries could still interact with each other without restriction so long as they had the same external border controls.

People could still leave they would just have to go though the mill to get back in.

Serious question, could we do that?
Huge changes await for people traveling, I would suggest that there will need to be a globally agreed standards/certification before allowing anyone to travel from one country to another. You’ll need 100% proof that you’re virus free before stepping onto a plane. The days of ‘open’ travel are over at least for the next 2-5 years. I’m of the opinion the cruise ship industry is sunk.

The big task to is keep australia spinning and to do so we need spare parts for cars, trucks, machinery, technology, telecommunications etc. Many of these items are made in China.

There would still be hundreds of thousands of people unable to work because they are/were employed in the global supply and demand of goods and services which will take months to restore.

Also there are already strong recriminations against China, extracting oneself from China will be a long and costly process. IMO long term China is finished, companies will be instructed to cease Chinese manufacturing operations and come on-shore or find divergent manufacturing.

Last edited by cheap; 12-04-2020 at 04:42 PM.