View Single Post
Old 27-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #338
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco_tezz
Hi Guys,

I figured it was time that i joined the battle of lossing the bulge.
It is time to lose the donna that is covering the smaller me.
I know it is going to be a long trip, But after reading what you guys are going through, i figured this would be a good place to get support for when you have set backs, as well as get advice from you guys that have already taken on the challange.

Well at the end of this, my aim is to have lost between 30 and 40kgs, and in the past 2 weeks I have got the ball rolling with the loss of 5 kgs. But i know the rest will not be that easy.

Good luck to all of us.

Heya Disco_tezz! Good on you for making a committment to improved health. 30 - 40kg is a lifechanging amount to shed and as you probably already know it won't happen quickly.

Your 5kg in 2 weeks is a solid start! Remember early on if you are exercising and eating less, a large portion of your weight loss can be water! So keep your fluid intake up. It will appear to 'slow' your weight loss but it will make the numbers more meaningful. Drink the 2 or so litres a day. Try to avoid in that 2litres coffee or soft drink as those don't do much to hydrate you. If you hate plain water add in a small amount of diet cordial.

Remember to make ongoing weight loss a success you must make changes that you can live to. The best way i have found is with what is called 'incidental exercise'. This is where you buld exercise into your daily routine so you don't have to make time for it. My biggest example of this is instead of taking a 45 minute tram ride to work every day I now ride a push bike the 9.5km. So if you can build exercise into your everyday routine that is the best way to make sure you do it and stick to it.

Remember to push the cardio on the exercise that you do - however avoid really pumping the heart, you need to be at about 65% of your max heart rate to be in the 'fat burning zone' (max heart rate = 220 - yourage, eg: for me, 220 - 27 = 193beats per minute MAX!) So 65% of that is 125. So if i'm attempting to lose weight my session I attempt to maintain that as a heart rate, If i'm going for exercise and 'performance building' then I need to maintain about 85% of max heart rate which is about 165bpm.

I know how hard it is so do many others. If you have an slippage for whatever reason, don't let it get you down, and don't hang up the boots, get stuck in and work on it!