View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Aftermarket HUDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I disagree, I have an app on my phone that will give me a HUD. I simply rest the phone on top of the dash.
(unless of course you're one of the idiots that has to use the phone when driving)

I tried it when bringing my ute down from Qld and found it distracting as I was still watching (focusing on) the speed instead of the road.

My daily gives me a digital speed readout in the centre of the regular speedo. This is directly if front of me and takes less time to read than checking my mirrors.
I have learnt in life, that it is better to use “dedicated” devices designed for a given function rather than using a device which is a “Jack of all trades... Master of none”.

It’s like using an adjustable shifter rather than the right sized ring spanner for a job.

I know many people use their phone for multiple functionality in the car to supplement for a GPS, music, voice recorder, OBDII reader and HUD.

However, it will never perform as well as something designed primarily for a sole purpose;

For example in my car I use;

1. Garmin GPS - Unlike a mobile phone, the GPS receiver in a Garmin or most better quality GPS units will be of higher spec and update satellite data faster per second for speed and road positioning.

2. Dedicated HUD - Again the GPS electronics in these better units are faster than a mobile phone, will be brighter, and have auto dimming when going through tunnels and night time use.
Also as the phone is not connected directly to the OBDII port, it cannot display other vehicle data.
Plus you have to remove it everytime you park the car and leave.
Leaving the phone on the dash in hot summer heat in a closed cabin is also not the best, where as the HUD I have is rated to 80 degrees C.

3. Dedicated OBDII scan tool (Actron) .... Better diagnostic info than many phone apps using a bluetooth adaptor.

4. Dedicated Voice recorder.... Can’t use the voice recorder app in a phone while in a phone call to take notes from clients while driving.

5. Dedicated iPod for music - I can leave it permanently connected in the console iPod dock in the FG MKII and I feel the digital signal sound processing is better than the iPhone I use.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: