View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 01:15 AM   #29
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Biggest local recall in automotive history - To be announced today

Another problem is any 2nd hand airbags laying around at all wreckers and private.

I have read somewhere that one of the deaths in US took place in a vehicle that already had been through recall and replacement, but detail investigation found it had since been a repaired vehicle, where an Alpha airbag had been sourced 2nd hand, and installed into a repairable writeoff, and when the accident happened the driver was killed by shrapnel. It was a Honda, and I read that Honda US had since purchased ALL second hand airbags they could get their hands on from wreckers and Ebay, and other sources, in order to destruct them.
The same problem will happen here in Australia. Personally I have left over a non-deployed Ranger airbag of the type that is now recalled. The vehicle it came from is unlicensed and I should really throw the airbag away, not sell it. Maybe I should list it on Ebay and wait for Ford Australia to buy it back for destruction ;-) The same with wrecking yards, I just looked at Ebay, there are at least 5 old airbags for sale for PJ or PK Ranger, and more than 6 airbags for the identical BT50 model, all of them are the affected Takata airbags.
Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote