View Single Post
Old 23-06-2015, 03:11 AM   #18
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How do you maintain a classic/hardly driven, stored car?

Hi,
Thanks everyone, some of you have better advise than me
Running it with 4 to 6 weeks interval sounds more practical than weekly.
It would soon become a chore to have this weekly task. Personally I think leaving it for a year with clean oil in it shouldn't be a problem for drying out engine bearings. At start-up you could crank it some extra seconds until oil pressure is built up, (with Ignition off).

The Car cocoon would have a sheet under the car also, and a system to keep moisture under control. I'm not familiar how they operate, is it a fan replacing the air, or is it a small heater element keeping moisture away on humid days?
Getting one of these is probably a good investment if you are in a tin shed with concrete slab.

If you were able to store it in a house garage (brick walls and sealed door) or in a wooden barn, then using only a cover would be sufficient I think, as the humidity would be less there.

Good point about the newer types of petrol not handling ageing so well. (Deposits etc.)
I agree that a full tank removes any surfaces where moisture could form. However that leaves you with more old petrol to dispose of. If it is a plastic tank I would leave it almost empty or empty. I've been told that bio fuels like the Husquarna pre-mix petrol from the chainsaw/mower shop is much better for storage of motorbikes. (It is preventing deposits in the carburettors). There should be a benefit of using this in your car also.

Rodents would have many entries, via rubber grommets, cabin air intake etc. (I wouldn't imagine the exhaust pipe being one of them..) Lots of poison bate from Bunnings sounds like best advise.
Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote