View Single Post
Old 22-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: How do you maintain a classic/hardly driven, stored car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barni View Post
Hello again peeps,
I've read a bunch of info on the net in regards to storing a car long term and what is required. Referring to long term garage queen. Some things suggested is to put it on stands so the tyres don't get flat spots, start the car weekly or fortnightly, drive it for a little if possible, block off exhaust pipe and air intake so no rodents get in.
Can't find anything on oil changes and other fluids such as radiator, brake fluids....how often do these need to be changed?
How often or long should you drive the car to keep it in A1 condition?
And other tips? Plastic cocoon or just car cover?
Appreciate the feedback
What I do is drive the car at 4 to 6 week intervals approx going for an hour or so run each time to warm everything up thoroughly, enjoying the car in the process. Keeps everything oiled up and in running condition. Have done this on all my hobby cars I've had (MGB, MGTD, VK Brocky) for over 20 years with no problems whatsoever from the periodic use.

Battery is charged up weekly with a floating type charger (I use a CTEK MXS 5.0). Always sitting on the tyres, so to encourage driving the car.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: