View Single Post
Old 26-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #100
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: $A=$US - Are we getting ripped off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6
Yes thats because we are out in the middle of nowhere and once it lands here it can be thousands of km to your door...
Thats fine. I have sent items from OS to my place for cheaper than sending the same item from the next suburb.

I just looked at a postcard I sent from Tanzania to the inlaws earlier this year. I think it cost 800 shillings.

That's 48c in Aussie money. And that was flown from half way across the world!

Post card from Fiji... 60 Fiji cents if memory serves?? That's around 32c AUD. Was also sent by plane.

These things don't take into account distance. They could have been delivered to the top of Darwin or to the bottom of Tas.

Anyone who has bought stuff from Ebay on a regualar basis (eg from China) often gets the item and the postage for less than the postage alone in this country.... I just bought a passport wallet delivered for $5. If I wanted to send that item internally by regular mail it would be about $5.

These are just a few examples of how postage is much cheaper in other countries. Problem is, when it gets here, it still needs to be transported in just the same way as a locally delivered item... so how can it be half the price or less????

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote