View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #48
z80
Banned

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytoolsupplies
I have not gone solar, looked into it ,I wanted a stand alone system and use the grid as a backup Most companies,I contacted told me it was not possable to do this .Not true ,and now that the feed back in tarriff is 7c kilowatt hr you would never save anything unless I build my own panel at around $220 per 1.5kilowatt panel.
The total cost quted to me for a five kilowatt system was over $40,000

Can't see your problem...i had a standalone system for years before getting sick of forking out for batteries every few years.

Here's your solution.....

Find an electrician to put a two way switch on just the lighting circuits of your house.

Position A is lights powered from the grid
Position B is lights powered from your standalone inverter
Position C all off from both sources.

Not hard at all mate.

have alook at a company that can supply everything, and made in australia ....... SELECTRONICS in Victoria.

$40k for 5kw? nahhhhhh.....

If you want a deluxe solution to standalone and grid then have a look at the Selectronics Pro solution.

It will probably do exactly what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
i am sure that the technolegy is out there to make battery back up sysems work with feed in but at the moment it probably is just not viable.
Selectronics have solved the problems with battery based grid feed systems...by charging batteries and then running them down as far as possible in the afternoons they manage to extend the nett generation time of the panels and mitigate the peak grid draw on this type of system even after the sun goes down...so you aren't drawing power at peak rates until the batteries reach a predetermined minimum charge every night.

now isn't that a good idea?

Last edited by z80; 07-02-2012 at 01:06 AM.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote