View Single Post
Old 27-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #38
Nolz

Default Re: Candy Red Diesel Sport - first impressions & pics!

With the Phillips kit it comes with a unit which you just connect to the + and - terminals on your battery. It senses when your car is on and turns on when the motor is running. You connect another wire to the park lights do the drl's know to turn off when the head lights are on. This keeps it legal.

The problem I had could be diesel specific. A lot of the guys in the states are running it on their petrol foci as described above with no probs.
What I discovered was that the drl's would come on and off intermittently. I eventually got onto an auto elec which when tested, found that the alternator wasn't charging the battery. And the drl's wouldn't come on. He suggested I go to ford, ford looked into it and found that the new foci, maybe diesels only, tend to only charge on demand, controlled by the cars computer. Where as traditionally, car on = alternator charging. With the new foci it see,s that the alternator only runs when it's told to.

Got around this by removing the drl's control unit and wiring the lights up to the accessory circuit. And earthing it to the park lights so that they turn off when the headlights are turned on, the drl's turn off. Once again keeping it all legal.
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote