View Single Post
Old 27-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #9
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Still trying to figure out the problem. How do my sparks look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelEF
That dry, rattly whine? That's your PS pump telling you a: it has no oil, or b: it's dying. Fast.
Ouch. Well there's definitely oil as I checked fluids today, so...

The whine has been there for at least a few months, around the last time I cleaned the throttle body and reset the ECU; I figured it was just the engine running a bit better.

Quote:
The burble sounds like an exhaust leak at the manifold as far as the video lets me hear, try spraying some soapy water on the joints when cold, then strt it and see if any bubbles appear......
Cheers. Yeah, when I last had the exhaust manifold off I started the car just out of curiosity, it made a real racket, a very unusual noise compared to normal. The more I hear what it sounds like now the more I think it sounds like the manifold-less exhaust, just at a lower level. I reckon (hope) that I didn't fully tighten the flange bolts below the manifold, and the exhaust pipe has dropped a little creating a gap.

Or the exhaust gasket cement I used has cracked and created a gap...

Quote:
Plugs - #4 looks like it's been getting oily - as above could be stem seals. a puff of blue smoke when you rev it would confirm that. Since it's a head off job unless you have access to compressed air, it might not be worth worrying about just yet.
I tried some Nulon foaming throttle body cleaner a couple of months ago, and one of the steps was piston crown cleaning: remove the sparks, spray the cleaner into the open holes, and crank the engine. I wonder if that's done something to the seals.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote