View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #122
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Koni's on my AU - which ones though??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_wannabe
KYB AGX's from the same mob are $500 a pair. Are you talking about the cooking version KYB's?

From the research I have done (ie not much) there doesnt seem to be much choice in between a $230 pair of Monroe GT's (ebay) or $550 Koni's...

Am I right or are there better shocks than the monroes that dont cost as much as the Konis?
I went BOGE shocks which also do a short strut for the front. I paid $440 for all 4 about 2-3 years ago from Car Torque here in Adelaide over the counter. BOGE are a german made shock which are supplied to Mercedes and Audi vehicles in Germany. I have found the Eibach springs and BOGE combination to be very good. I have pushed my car hard in the hills and found it to be very stable yet still provide a comfortable ride and still attain reasonable undertray clearance for speed humps etc. I also run Superpro Urethane bushes in most of my components. Nolathane is a brand name and you tend to pay a bit extra for the name. Nolathan and Super pro still use urethane bushes, just they are designed ever so slightly differently as well as color wise Super Pro have all their bushes in yellow I believe where Nolathan use Red as their color.

KYB's are a good brand. I remember using them about 8 years ago when they were breaking into the ozzy market and picking up a set of mid range shocks for less than Monroe's at the time. Word caught on quick and KYB are right up there price wise with some of the higher end brands by the sounds of it. If you can get them cheaper online etc, then go for it.

Monroe's are a long time known brand, I haven't used them for a long time, but they have picked up their game with their performance line so it might be worth considering them if cash is tight. Used commonly from factory with Fords, Holdens and back when they were around, Mitsubishi. A lot of members here swear by them as a good, cheap and some what reliable option. Just be aware they may not be at the same level as Koni/Bilsteins.

Brands I personally stay away from are Ultima & Gabriel as I have seen and heard first hand reports from people who have bought these shocks and found them to be lacking in performance and longevity in their opinion.

Pedder's I would just say, purchase at your own risk. Do some google and forum searches on what others say about pedders. Some love them, some don't. It's a personal choice in the end, and you need to be informed before you hand over your cash.

Please be aware also that the above is purely my opinion and by no means should it be taken as gospel. I only speak from my own personal experience based on what I have used and what has worked for me in the past. I recommend continuing your research on the subject a bit more about each particular brand and then making a decision on what is best for your personal budget.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 02-11-2011 at 04:18 PM.
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote